Replacement of roofing material
From the beginning of August, works are underway at our abbey to replace the roofing on the monastery church and the so-called Opatowiec. The investment was possible thanks to a subsidy from the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage.
Cistercian abbey founded in 1179 by the Bishop of Cracow Gideon. The abbey was founded as a branch of the Morimond abbey. The monks came to Wąchock in 1179 with the legendary abbot – brother Haymo.
About the abbey
The monastery in Wąchock was built at the turn of the 12th and 13th centuries. Is one of the most beautiful examples of Romanesque architecture in Poland. The founder of the abbey was in 1179 the Bishop of Krakow Gedeon (Gedko). The builder of the abbey was Simon, of Italian origin.
The monastery was twice destroyed by Tartar invasions. Thanks to the strength of will and hard work, the nun slowly brought him back to its former glory.